Ebay banner

Thursday 25 March 2010

A handful of recent favourite finds

Over the past 2-3 weeks I've come across so many great albums that I feel a compelling urge to share my findings:

Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor (1999)

I've had Richard and Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight for several years now, but it was only recently I heard any of Richard Thompson's solo material. Crawl Back (Under My Stone) was the first track from the album I heard and after that I just had to go out and get a copy. The whole album is excellent, mixing blues and rock, and a healthy smattering of slower ballads.

John Cale and Terry Riley - Church of Anthrax (1971)

If I had heard any of the tracks from this album without knowing who recorded them and when, I would automatically have assumed they were reasonably recent. Firstly though I didn't know that John Cale and Terry Riley had ever collaborated as it seems like an unlikely partnership, and secondly the sound of this album from way back in 1971 is way ahead of its time.

John Cale and Lou Reed - Songs For Drella (1989)

The title of the album, Drella, is a combination of Dracula and Cinderella, and was recorded in dedication to the memory of Andy Warhol. Each track is outstanding and it's pretty hard to choose my favourite as I simly love each one I hear, whenever I hear it. Pretty sure all the tracks have come around on lasfm, but I'm still looking forward to the arrival of the CD, hopefully later this week.


Other recent finds worthy of mention include ...

John Cale - Paris 1919
Pere Ubu - Raygun Suitcase
Residents - Petting Zoo


Just need more time to listen to everything.

With an ever accumulating CD collection, inevitably some are set free to go to new homes. Follow the link to see a list of my records and CDs for sale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.