Ebay banner

Sunday 3 January 2010

Ensemble Modern plays Frank Zappa

First of all, a very Happy New Year to all my readers. My first blog entry of the year is something I discovered by accident earlier today. I typed Frank Zappa into lastfm.com and whilst it's been playing for over an hour I've yet to hear any songs by the great man. I did however come across a group called Ensemble Modern who, amongst others, cover Frank Zappa songs. Apparently Zappa has said something along the lines of them being the only people to play his music how it was meant to be played.

Still no Zappa being played, but it has surfaced a couple of excellent tracks by Soft Machine from their excellent album Third that I'd forgotten about, and also a Hatfield and the North track from their Rotter's Club album. So, despite being sorely disappointed at not hearing any Zappa yet, I have been taking a pleasant trip down memory (or should that be Canterbury) lane.

And so, without further ado, and in no particular order, my top 5 'Canterbury' albums would be:
  • Soft Machine - Third
  • Matching Mole - Little Red Record
  • Hatfield and the North - Rotter's Club
  • Camel - Mirage
  • Caravan - In the Land of Pink and Grey

I'm very sure that as soon as I post this blog entry that I'll suddenly remember many other Canterbury greats, but these 5 are all classics in my book, and a great starting point for anyone not familiar with that scene.

Anyone interested can check out my Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Caravan ... CDs for sale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.