Ebay banner

Friday 27 November 2009

Just Give Me Indie Rock

I'm in rediscovery mode again this week. It started off by dipping back into Sonic Youth's back catalogue ... I forgot just how good some of those tracks from Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty were. My biggest "problem" with Sonic Youth is however very similar to my problem with Sebadoh. I genuinely love all the tracks they have done, but what I find difficult is when the consecutive tracks on an album leap from one style to another. This can be ok sometimes but more often than not I prefer to listen to songs of a similar mood. Thank goodness for the iPod though where I can allocate their various songs into my own playlists.

I've also been re-exposed to a bit of Husker Du, Pond, Dinosaur Jnr and Pavement again recently. Listening to these guys reminds me of the time I discovered that there was actually some good, current music to listen to. Until that time I had pretty much regressed to the late 60's/early 70's, immersing myself in the UK and US hippy scenes.

On the subject of Husker Du, I have recently bought Bob Mould's Circle Line CD. It took me a while to get into it, and it certainly didn't have the immediate impact that New Dawn Rising and Copperblue did, but there are 3 or 4 outstanding tracks. Current favourites are probably Very Temporary and Stupid Now. Apparently Bob Mould and Sonic Youth are playing in the UK next month so I really should get of my butt and go and see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.